There will be a household recycling day on April 22 at FDR State Park, from 9am-3pm.
HRD’s offer an opportunity for residents to recycling household items like old medications, chemicals, paints, electronics, textiles including clothing, footwear, handbags, linens, leather, small area rugs and more!
If you cannot make an HRD event, you can always schedule an appoint at DEF’s Household Material Recovery Facility (H-MRF) located on the Grasslands Campus at 15 Woods Road, Valhalla, NY. The permanent facility accepts the same items as the HRDs and is open year-round. Household hazardous waste and other items worthy of special handling are accepted from Westchester County residents on an appointment-only basis.
At HRDs, service works on a first-come-first-served basis, and in extreme weather when working conditions are deemed unsafe, events may be cancelled or terminated early. The Mobile Shredder is available at all HRDs, but be advised that on occasion the Mobile Shredder unit can reach its maximum capacity for paper shredding before closing time. Although infrequent, residents should be aware of this and open minded of the possibility of an early closure. On the day of an event, residents can call the County’s Recycling HelpLine at (914) 813-5425 to check on a cancellation or early closure.
Follow these simple rules:
- Remember to close all bags and bottles tightly.
- All chemicals must be in original or labeled containers.
- Place all chemicals in a sturdy box and in the trunk of your car.There is no fee, but pre-registration is required for 100 pounds or more of solid material or 25 gallons or more of liquid. To pre-register, call the Recycling HelpLine at (914) 813-5425.
The following items are collected at the events:
Properly labeled household chemicals, including-
- Most automotive fluids – antifreeze, brake fluid, gasoline
- Paint (both oil and latex)
- Common household cleaners
- Flammable liquids – kerosene, butane, charcoal fluid, turpentine
- Textiles (bring in a bag: clothing, footwear, handbags, linen and more!)
- Metal, jewelry and furniture polishes, and wood preservatives
- Fertilizers, pesticides, insecticides, herbicides, photographic and swimming pool chemicals
- Fluorescent light bulbs and CFLs
- Fire extinguishers
- Propane tanks (1, 2, 5, 10 and 20 pound tanks)
- Batteries – only auto, rechargeable and button cell types
- Household appliances with Freon – air conditioners, refrigerators, dehumidifier
- Mercury thermometers and thermostats
- E-waste – items related to communications, including TVs, computers, monitors and related accessories, printers, fax machines, cell phones, radios, stereos, and speakers
- Car tires (maximum 4)
- Expired or unused pharmaceuticals – both prescription and over the counter
- Confidential documents
The items below are not accepted. For disposal information, call the Recycling HelpLine at (914) 813-5425.
- Non-rechargeable batteries – discard with household trash
- Motor oil – take to service station or motor oil retail outlet
- Compressed gas cylinders – helium and oxygen tanks
- Smoke and fire detectors – (dispose in trash or contact manufacturer for possible return service)
- Explosives – flares, fireworks, ammunition
- Medical waste – hypodermic needles
- Construction and demolition debris – materials from home improvement and construction projects (e.g. drywall, wood, pipes, fixtures)
- Materials from commercial and institutional users