Questions for Prayer & Reflection
How have I been overly concerned about what others think of me?
How have I allowed this to motivate my actions?
Have I lied or exaggerated to make myself look good?
Have I wasted undue time and money on clothes and appearance?
Am I dissatisfied with some aspect of my life because it doesn’t live up to the image or expectations of someone else and what they think is important?
Why do we prefer to garner glory for ourselves, rather than letting God’s glory shine through us?
Practices to Resist Vainglory
1) Ground yourself in Good News
- Psalm 139:1-18, 23-24
- Matthew 5:14-16
- Let your life and actions speak for themselves and silence the self-made “spin.”
- Enjoy a conversation in which you don’t talk about yourself but let the other person talk/share their life with you
- Distance yourself from voices that distract or push you to seek recognition from others
- Image or Ad Fast – refrain from ads, magazines/catalogs, commercials, shopping malls
4) Strive to live each day for God’s glory rather than your own.