First Presbyterian Church of Yorktown Heights, NY
The Director of Youth Ministries will work in accordance with FPCY’s Youth Ministry Mission & Values:
The youth ministry of FPCY invites our youth and their friends into a welcoming and vibrant community that
- Surrounds youth with an unconditional love that fosters genuine relationships;
- Engages youth in the joys and traditions of the Christian faith;
- Energizes youth to extend the love of Christ to the world.
What We Value:
- Grace: God’s greatest gift to us, is the foundation of all we do and strive to be.
- Growth: Our covenant with youth begins at baptism and grows throughout their lives; we support and encourage our youth as they grow in their faith in God, their relationships with the church, and with each other.
- Trust: We provide our youth with a nurturing and safe environment enabling them the opportunity for honest expression and inviting their questions and opinions in a non-judgmental way.
- Inclusiveness: Believing that all people are created in the image of God, we welcome youth with diverse identities, backgrounds and gifts to share in faith and ministry together.
- Joy: We live a faith that shows our love of life, our delight in God as our strength, and our desire that others know this faith with us.
- Service: We seek to discover and express our faith through service to our community. By helping others, we learn more about ourselves and our relationship with God and those around us.
- Community: We embrace our youth as vital members of a dynamic community, integrating them in the life and work of the Church as we also seek to know them as individuals.
Youth Ministry Team
- Work with Pastors and Church Elders to create a Youth Ministry Team (YMT) of 4-6 adults from the church who will support the DYM in his/her/their role
- Serve as central coordinator for the YMT, delegating tasks to adults on the team and church membership as needed
- Plan youth group meetings and activities that reflect our Mission and Values with youth and adults of the church
- Collaborate with Director of Music Ministries to incorporate music into youth ministry activities
- Encourage and organize youth involvement in faith formation, mission and service opportunities, such as CrossGen, Confirmation, Mission Trips, VBS, community outreach projects, youth conferences, etc.
- Encourage and organize youth involvement in youth activities of the larger church, such as Triennium and presbytery-related opportunities
- Work with teachers and youth in the high school Sunday School class
- Evaluate high school and middle school youth curriculum and ensure that it remains aligned with the beliefs of the church and relevant to the youth
- Plan Confirmation with the pastors
- Coordinate youth events with other local faith communities as possible
- Develop/maintain best communication practices with youth, parents, congregation, Faith Formation and Communications Commissions
- Maintain information pertaining to youth in the database and other youth-related administrative tasks
- Faith Formation – attend FF meetings and Sunday School Committee
- Engage with other commissions (Worship Design, Mission, etc.) to provide more opportunity for intergenerational connection and community-building
Hours: 20 hours/week including Sundays, some office hours on 2 weekdays, and other times as necessary.
Salary and Benefits
- Salary: $28,000 ($27/hour)
- Other benefits available and will be discussed with candidates.
Interested candidates should send resumes to: firstname.lastname@example.org