Transitioning to a Plant-Based Diet
(from Northern Westchester Hospital Center, Brianna Farrand, MS, RDN and Pat Talio, MS, RDN, CDE, CDN)
Start reaping the benefits of a plant-based diet by experimenting with one or more of these small changes:
- Make one new plant-based recipe a week
- Try Meatless Mondays. Make a slow transition by avoiding meat one day a week or one meal a day, for example, aim for a plant-based lunch every day).
- Prioritize plants a family gatherings. Ask guests to bring fruit- or veggie-based side dishes.
- Seek out vegan or vegetarian restaurants. Rather than your old standby, use veganrestaurantfinder.com to help locate a plant-based restaurant. Your might discover a new favorite!
- Challenge your cooking skills. Buy a great vegetarian cookbook. Check out some that we have in the church office!
- Learn about the environmental impact of meat-heavy diets. Did you know meat production is a source of greenhouse gas formation and reason for deforestation?
- Explore meat alternatives. Learn how to cook healthy alternatives to meat – like tempeh, tofu, and seitan.
- Host a plant-based potluck. Try your friends’ favorite vegetarian dishes and swap recipes.