Rev. George Barford served the congregation from 1950 to 1966.
January 1950, the trustees realized that the floor of the church seemed insecure so
church was ordered closed and the Parish Hall was used.
In 1951 our estimated income was $5,561.
The summer Union Service with the Methodist Church proved successful in 1951 and was held again in 1952. July services held in here at the Presbyterian Church, at the Methodist Church in August.
January 1952, the Session membership was expanded from six to eight members.
September 1952 saw the beginning of the monthly newsletter, The Disciple.
1952: Membership of 175 active adults, 76 church school children, 15 teachers. Societies: Ladies Aid Society, Women’s Missionary Society, Westminster Fellowship and a Couples Club. One church service was held at 10 a.m.
In 1953, a number of changes were made in the church school. These include
drapes to separate the primary and junior classes; moving the senior high and junior high groups in to the church building, and using the kitchen as a nursery classroom.
May 1954, a second building program was initiated, called the Church School Addition
and Manse Improvement.
In October 1955, the men’s fellowship had a second chicken barbecue at the Mohansic
Park. Cost was adults $2.50 and children $1.25. Very reasonable, right? Brings back the good old days.
Hope 2011 will be good to you, Dick Hunter
Some of the highlights of 272 years of the First Presbyterian Church of Yorktown, which was organized in 1738.
The church has had four names:
- First Presbyterian Society
- First Presbyterian Church
- When the Yorktown post office closed, the church became the YorktownPresbyterian Church of Peekskill
- The First Presbyterian Church of Yorktown (incorporated in 1939)
The first official minutes were recorded in a book called “the old Hog skin” — so named because of its cover.
The first meeting house and parsonage were burned by the British in June 1779.
Dissention and Division: Part of the congregation followed Reverend Silas Constant to start a new church in 1806. The separation was caused by Rev. Silas Constant, and ended in 1865.
The second church building was razed in 1839 due to poor condition and our present Sanctuary was built and dedicated in Jan. 1840.
Property for a manse was donated in 1870 and a manse was built.
Rev. William Cumming, installed in August 1876, gave a complete history of the church to date, known as the ―Historical Sermon.
These notes were taken from Arthur C. Lee‘s book about our church.