Everywhere you look, new life is bursting forth all around us. Both Easter and Pentecost are seasons of new life as we celebrate Jesus’ resurrection and the birth of the church through the power of the Holy Spirit. It is also a time to celebrate the growth and hard work of so many in our church family and church programs.
In the natural world around us, the usual pattern of seasons goes something like this: In spring you plant the seeds. Over the summer, flowers bloom and plants grow. Then you harvest the fruit in the late summer and fall. Here at church, however, our seasonal rotation is almost the opposite. Our church program year is just getting started in the fall as Church School, youth groups, Bible studies and adult education kick into high gear. From fall through winter into spring, we plant and nurture seeds of faith in children, youth and adults. We worship and serve together through our ministry and mission. Then as summer approaches, we celebrate our journeys of faith and service and the growth and fruit they have produced.
Looking back over the past couple months and looking ahead through May in to June, we have much to celebrate!
- We welcomed 10 New Members who have committed to continuing their journeys of faith in community with us.
- On April 22, we celebrated Earth Day and FPCY’s continuing commitment to being a Green Faith congregation, both in word and deed.
- On May 6, we celebrated the Confirmation journey and commitment of 7 of our young people who have spent the last 8 months reflecting on their own personal faith, learning about other faith traditions and what it means to be a Presbyterian Christian.
- On May 13 we celebrated the Women of the Church and remembered our foremothers in faith whose love and guidance have helped us grow into the people and disciples God calls us to be.
- On May 20, we celebrate Pentecost, the day the Holy Spirit blew through that ragtag band of Jesus’ disciples and birthed the church, the Body of Christ in the world. Don’t forget to wear something RED to church.
- On June 3, we celebrate our Graduates and Legacy Sunday. Our youth and young adults are one of the many legacies of our church’s ministry, and we are excited to celebrate their accomplishments along with the many other ways we continue to love and serve God through this faith community.
- Our children and youth will lead us in Children’s Day worship as we move to one service at 10:00 am on June 10 and celebrate the faith and commitment of all those involved in our children’s and youth programs.
- Finally on June 17, we will celebrate and honor the Men of the Church and the forefathers of our faith.
As you can see, new life continues to burst forth all around us, and the Spirit is blooming in our midst! As we look ahead, we remember Paul’s words to the Corinthians, “One plants, another waters, but it is God who gives the growth.” In the coming weeks, let us join together in praise and thanksgiving to the Source of all life, all growth and learning, all faith and service, as we continue to blossom and produce good fruit in a world hungry for love and grace, hope and peace.
See you in church,