You thought we might say “Merry Christmas?” No, not this Advent. Join us beginning Sunday, December 3, and continuing on December 10 and 17, ending on Sunday, January 7, 2018. We’ll be studying The Redemption of Scrooge. We’ll be using a book by Matt Rawle, who has subtitled his study “Go from “Bah, Humbug” to a Blessed Advent and Merry Christmas.” Books will be available at the first meeting if you haven’t yet had a chance to purchase yours.
We will be offering two sessions of this class: Sunday mornings, from 9:30 to 10:30am, and Sunday evenings at 6 pm.
This Advent we will also provide an opportunity to explore the spiritual practice of journaling. Heidi Haring will be supporting those of you who would like to “cultivate stillness in the Season of Advent” using Pamela C. Hawkins’s book, Simply Wait. This group will meet once at the beginning of Advent to get started and once at the end, to reflect on where you’ve been. There is also the possibility of a meeting in the middle. Interested? Contact Heidi. This group would be meeting late morning on a Wednesday or Thursday.
- The Women’s Circle continues to meet on the first Wednesday morning of each month, from 10:30 until noon. The group is led by Tami and is following the Horizons curriculum, Cloud of Witnesses: The Community of Christ in Hebrews. All women are welcome to attend one or more of these meetings. You don’t have to attend every session to get a lot out of the study!
- The men’s breakfast will be held on December 2 in Fellowship Hall, prior to the Hanging of the Greens.
- Our Thursday morning 10 – 11:30 AM class is watching How Jesus Became God, a series from the Great Courses. The professor is Bart D. Erhman of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Join us at any time-you don’t have to attend every session.
- We are currently running two sessions of Disciple II Bible study classes, one on Tuesday morning and one on Wednesday evening. Please let Tami, Chip or Connie know if you are interested in the first Disciple course, Disciple I. We are hoping to schedule a class soon, based on interest.
- Please note that there will be no classes on Sunday, December 24 (Christmas Eve day) or Sunday, December 31 (New Year’s Eve day).
May you have stillness this Advent Season. May you know the joy of anticipation.
See you in class,
~Connie Knapp, for the Adult Ed planning team